Monday 24 January 2011

Brass monkeys and couch potatoes

Ye Gods, but it's nippy round here.  I have ditched Julian (for which relief much thanks) and have now tied up with a much more compassionate partner in Dr Bethan Williams.  This has distinct advantages:  first of all, she's a Doctor (i.e. she has brains) and secondly she is a she which allows me more sympathetic treatment.

We are now down in the South Atlantic which, although it's what they laughingly refer to as "Summer", is still perishing.  It's a good thing, after all, that I didn't get a woolcut when I was in Australia.  My coat is definitely essential here.

We headed off to Signy Island in the South Orkneys (like the North Orkneys but without Peter Maxwell Davies and fewer Ceilidhs) to drop off some Italian scientists and where we bumped into a family of elephant seals.  These reminded me mostly of Julian in front of the tele.  Huge lumps of blubber doing absolutely nothing for large parts of the day.



I'm the small white object on the grating which gives you some idea just how big these less than attractive monsters are.  Even less appealing are the fur seals which are rather like dogs insofar as they bark at you and are very agile and strong.  Readers will appreciate that dogs that can slap are less than my favourite lifeforms.

More conducive to my wellbeing were the penguins - different types were on view including colonies of adele and chinstrap varieties as well as some visiting gentoo- and lots of other avian cousins ... skuas, terns, and giant petrels amongst others.  Having enjoyed the opportunity to stretch my legs (they are small so they need all the stretching they can get) we have now re-embarked and are on our way to James Ross Island which I presume is where they manufacture frozen fish fingers.

More soon .....

No comments:

Post a Comment